CPALS Scholarship Information and Application
The Carolina Pediatric Attention Love and Support (CPALS) 501 C-3 non-profit organization has established a college scholarship fund, and we are pleased to offer patients who have been treated by the Division of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology at UNC Hospitals the following opportunity to apply for this scholarship fund. Please note the hospital does not have any involvement in distributing these scholarships nor has any involvement with making decisions on who is awarded these scholarship funds. This is decided solely from and given by a scholarship committee with the CPALS organization.
The scholarship applications are open to students who have been accepted into and plan to attend a University/College or Community/Technical School in the Fall of 2022. This includes patients who are either 2022 graduating high school seniors, 2021-2022 GED candidates, or who graduated in 2021 and have been accepted to a college, but delayed starting for a semester or a year until Fall 2022. Applications will be voted on by a scholarship committee of CPAL Officers for their merit, narrative essays, and short answer questions and the top three applicants will be awarded one of three $1,500 scholarships.
To Apply (please read the directions thoroughly):
- Complete the Application Cover Page along with proof of acceptance/enrollment at an accredited institution for the Fall of 2022.
- Please choose one of the following essay prompts and two short essay questions. Your essay must be a minimum of 500 words.
Essay prompts (pick one):
- Describe how your experience with cancer or other serious disease/illness has influenced your life and choice to pursue higher education.
- Describe a situation that has inspired you to grow as a person and the lessons that the situation taught you.
Short answer questions (pick two):
- Title your autobiography.
- Make a list of your top 5. This can be of any subject. Some examples being top 5 survival items, top 5 life moments, or top 5 musicians, artists, or athletes.
- Describe any special interests or hobbies you have.
- If you had to describe yourself in 3 words, what would they be and why?
You may submit your application in one of two ways:
- Email: Email your Application Cover Page and Essay to Anna Geib, CPALS President: email@example.com
- Mail to:
Attention: Anne Geib, CPALS President
Box 145 FPG Student Union CB 5210
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-001
Applications must be received by May 15, 2022. All applicants will be notified by Friday, June 3, 2021. Scholarship recipients will receive a check that will be mailed to the address listed on your application. If you have questions, please e-mail Valerie Nguyen, CPALS Outgoing President at firstname.lastname@example.org